[28th June 2023] – The advanced LIVING-LIMB System is a significant advancement for dermatological research. This validated next-generation ex-vivo perfusion system is designed to perform highly reproducible local (dermal) tolerance studies. The LIVING-LIMB system is an ethical, time-efficient, and cost-effective alternative to determine phototoxicity, cutaneous sensitisation, patch testing, dermal irritation, and injection site irritation in dermatological research.
Validation and Reproducibility: The LIVING-LIMB System has undergone comprehensive optimisation and validation over 10 years, to establish its reliability and reproducibility. The system fully replicates the physiological conditions of living tissue by restoring blood flow to a perfused limb from a pig, while maintaining tissue viability. This has been validated through extensive assessment of physiological markers, histological evaluations, and functional analyses.
Ethical and Efficient Approach: One of the system’s advantages lies in its ethical approach. By employing a perfused limb from a pig, the LIVING-LIMB System obviates the need for live animal experimentation, aligning with 3Rs and providing a real alternative to in-vivo models. Furthermore, biological material is retrieved via the food industry, meaning no laboratory animals are used.
Unlike conventional animal-based models, the system eliminates the necessity for protracted regulatory approvals or animal licenses. This streamlined approach enables scientists to start experiments within days, rather than months.
The LIVING-LIMB system also significantly reduces costs by up to 90%, when compared to large animal experiments. Researchers can now allocate their resources more efficiently, fostering innovation and progress in the field of dermatological research.
Applications in Local (Dermal) Tolerance Studies: The LIVING-LIMB System is optimised for dermal tolerance studies. Drugs and cosmetics can be applied topically, subcutaneously, or intra-muscularly (via injection) to the perfused limb, enabling evaluation of various facets of local tolerance.
By subjecting the perfused limb to controlled conditions and monitoring skin responses in real time, researchers can acquire precise and reproducible data to assess the safety and efficacy of substances. The LIVING-LIMB System enables accurate evaluation of adverse reactions, immune responses, and skin sensitisation potential, contributing to the development of safer and more effective drugs and cosmetics.
Summary: The introduction of the LIVING-LIMB System marks a milestone in dermatological research, providing a validated and reproducible ex-vivo perfusion system for dermal tolerance studies, that is more translational compared to existing small animal approaches. This innovative system offers a reliable, cost-effective, ethical and efficient alternative to traditional animal-based models.
With the LIVING-LIMB system, you benefit from;
- Enhanced efficiency: your R&D process is streamlined, which saves you time and resources
- Iterative refinement: we identify and solve major issues early on to mitigate risk and delays
- Regulatory success: we know what regulatory authorities need so your data is tailored to meet their requirements, smoothing out that path to clinical trial approval
- Ethical: the LIVING-LIMB SYSTEM does not use laboratory animals – all biological material is surplus from the food industry.
- Cost saving: the complete lack of laboratory animals significantly reduces costs – that’s around an 80% cost-saving compared to large animal in vivo experiments
- Time saving: your study can be started in days and completed in weeks, rather than months or years
- Expertise: The Pebble team are key opinion leaders in the field, and we have performed over 1200 procedures to date.